Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Role Of The Librarian

First off I have to apologise to people following this blog. My only excuse is I forgot lol. Although to be honest we didn't actually need to make a blog till this week so I'm technically ahead... and if I don't look at the blogs with 5 + posts I can keep believing that.

Anyways after glancing at assignments I decided that unless I state what I think the role of the teacher librarian is before I get to the end of the course it will be difficult to see changes in my thinking. So to me the role of the teacher librarian is first and foremost a facilitator of books. To me that should be the most important as it is becoming increasingly obvious that there are more and more families who do not start kids on books and instead leave reading skills to school. From my own experience I thank my parents every day as I learnt to read before I ever got to school and they installed a love of books in me that still exists today. So for me the teacher librarian should try to instill this love of books into the children that pass through their library.

I think TLs should also show students how to research. This was a skill that I was lacking and I quickly had to develop during my time at uni. So TLs need to consider providing both the resources but also the skills of researching. Not just the what but also the how so that students can go and apply those skills to whatever they have to research.

Lastly I also think that, especially for low SES students, TLs should teach, use and incorporate all kinds of technology including computers, cameras, video, audio and so on. For some students schools are the only place that they can access these and the library is a perfect place, combined with researching skills, for them to use these things.

So yeah there's my take on the role of the teacher librarian. Out of curiosity if anyone comments can you tell me whether the blogs have to all be formal writing or can we just have a running thought tally? And for those curious few yes I am doing both 401 and 501 so elements of both will keep appearing throughout. Assuming I remember about the blog this time :)

Feel free to comment

Lizz

1 comment:

  1. Hi Liz. Don't worry about the number of posts you see on some of the blogs - some of us are on holidays and have time to sit and ponder. I'm trying to keep ahead as I'm afraid that when I go back to work that I will struggle to find time to get everything done - and I'm only doing one subject. I'm not really sure about what style of writing is expected of us. Perhaps have a look at a few of the other blogs to see what the majority is doing - be one of those dead fish that swim with the stream (from Sanders reading in Topic 6) :)

    ReplyDelete